Parts Organization and Seat Hardpoints

The bags of parts I received from the factory are in no apparent order and are poorly marked, if marked at all.  In addition, the part numbers in the manual frequently don’t match up with the part numbers on the part.  This has led to a lot of time searching for a needed part and confusion over whether I am using the right one.  So I decided to go through the manual, match up the parts by function and try, by process of elimination, to associate the hardware with the section of the build manual.  What I found was that I was missing several parts, and that I also had several parts that I could not associate with passages in the manual.

After discussions with Chad at the factory, I learned that there have been a handful of engineering changes to the kit that have made it deviate from the build manual.  For example, the side-stick option eliminates several parts from the kit, but adds many more. There is a small section of the manual for the side-stick option, but there are no photos or drawings to guide assembly or connection.  In addition, the factory is trying to get away from using push-pull cables.  I was given two push-pull cables in my kit, but it turns out that these are superseded by a new design that uses all solid tubes to connect the aileron torque tube bell crank from the aft keel to the aileron bell cranks on the wing.  There are no drawings or documentation for these parts or their assembly…….

All parts were organized, bagged, and labelled, and then stored on a new shelf by the chapter of the build manual.  Some rearrangement of the shop was required to fit the new shelf, and this gave me an opportunity to remove a bunch of wood and metal parts that have been accumulating over the years.  A net win!

With the holidays approaching, and lots of work around the house required to get ready for visitors, I decided to tackle an easy task – the front seat hard points.  First, the aluminum parts were sanded to remove sharp corners and edges.  Surfaces were rough-sanded to promote bonding. A tap was run in the threads to clean out debris, and the parts were washed thoroughly with solvent and wiped dry. Inside layer of fuselage and inner foam was removed on the outside positions, and the inner positions were marked.  All were set and leveled into structural epoxy + flox + cabosil and left to cure. The next day, a fillet of epoxy + cabosil was used to fill and fair around the aluminum, and covered with 2x bid.

Author: bzvelocity

Building a Velocity XLRG-5

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s